INSURANCE . RETIREMENT . INVESTMENTS
As the rainy season is upon us, we may find ourselves having to drive through the rain to get to work or to run our daily errands. Unfortunately, driving through the rain can be dangerous as the rainwater can make your brakes less effective at slowing or stopping your vehicle. This can be dangerous for vehicles with new brake pads, far less for brakes that are worn and need replacing, as they will be even less effective in wet conditions.
It is important that you take all the necessary precautions to keep yourself and your loved ones safe while on the road and that is why we have brought you these Rainy Season Motor Tips with 5 ways to tell when your brake pads need replacing:
1. Your vehicle takes a longer time to slow down or stop – This is the easiest way to tell that your brake pads need replacing. Brake pads work by clamping together and squeezing onto the spinning rotor of your tyres to slow down or stop the vehicle completely. However, over time the brake pads become worn and ineffective, leading to longer time taken to slow your vehicle down or inability to come to sudden stop.
2. Having to push down further on the brake pedal – Another way you can tell that your brake pads need replacing is when you find yourself pushing down further on the brake pedal to slow or stop your vehicle. This is an indicator that the pads have been worn down and require more clamping force.
This can be a sign of extremely worn brake pads and should not be ignored. Have your vehicle inspected by your mechanic or vehicle service centre as soon as possible.
3. Indicator lights turn on – Some models of cars have an indicator light on the dashboard that turns on when brakes pads have become worn and require replacing. If you do have a model of vehicle with this feature, pay close attention. Should this indicator come on, take your vehicle to a service centre or mechanic and have the brakes replaced as soon as possible.
If your vehicle does not have an indicator to show that the brakes are worn, please pay careful attention to the other points listed in this article.
4. Noisy brakes – This is another easy way to tell that your brakes need replacing. New brake pads rarely make noises but worn brakes can squeak or give off a deep metallic grinding noise that is caused by the worn metal ridges on the pads themselves rubbing on rotors of your tyres when used.
If your vehicle is making noises like these when you use your brakes, visit your mechanic or vehicle service centre to have them serviced or replaced.
5. Vibrating brake pedal – If you find that your vehicle is challenging to slow down or stop, and the brake pedal vibrates or feels unsteady, it may mean that your brakes are worn and require immediate replacing.
Vibrating brake pedals are abnormal and a sure sign that your vehicle may require not only a brake replacement, but also a servicing.
Are you interested in Motor Vehicle Insurance? Please contact Guardian General Insurance Limited at 1-246-430-4600 for more information.
Thank you for joining us for this week’s article. We wish you a safe and enjoyable weekend and do join us again next week for more!